Designed by Decimus Burton, in 1837, the gardens formed an important public space situated between the then railway station and the North Euston Hotel. In recent years the gardens have become tired and in need of an upgrade, so in collaboration with Wyre Council’s landscape architect we created a new vision for the garden.
Working within a very tight budget we have introduced new paths, carved sandstone benches, restored an Obelisk, which serves as a memorial to lives lost at sea, and in consultation with the Civic Trust re-ordered many historical objects which are sited within the garden.
The history of this space is an important story in terms of the Railways and these themes, along with the nautical stories informed our designs for decorative carvings to the sandstone benches. We commissioned a local poet to create a contemporary poem, to tell the story of an historical lifeboat incident, for which the obelisk has been erected. The poem is carved into a retaining wall-seat around the obelisk. The planting has been totally replenished to bring colour and texture to the garden all year round.