The WATER OF LIFE
TITLE : Water of Life DATE : 1994 CLIENT : Chester Cathedral LOCATION : Cloister Garden, Chester Cathedral PARTNERS : Castle Fine Art Foundry
The piece was designed for the Cloister Garden of Chester Cathedral in association with the 900th Anniversary celebrations of the foundation of the Benedictine Abbey of St Werburgh, on this site in 1092.
The water feature depicts the encounter between Jesus and the Woman of Samaria, showing their shared bowl overflowing with water. The theme of water also suggests a link to how the Benedictine monks water supply was at the centre of the cloister garden.
The sculpture was cast in bronze by Chris Butler of Castle Fine Arts in Oswystry.
The sculpture was funded by Capital Bank and dedicated by the Dean of Chester Cathedral, Dr. Stephen Smalley on 8th May 1994.